Heirs of the Coven

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum holding the rules of a system and the actions of my players.

Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood

Ginno the Seer
    Admin

Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood Empty Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood

Post by Ginno the Seer Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:59 am

The system in question is rather simplistic and not the main focus of the gameplay. As the player, you have the opportunity to recruit citizens who are being harassed by the game's antagonistic force. Once you help them, they pledge their loyalty to you and become your "assassins."
    Although there is a mechanic that allows the assassins to assist you during gameplay, this document will not delve into that aspect. Instead, focusing on the management side of things, which is quite straightforward:
    1. Open the world map and choose a region.
    2. Each region offers a selection of "contracts."
    3. Each contract is assigned a difficulty rating from 1 to 5.
    4. Contracts provide two main benefits: Money and Experience. The amount of both rewards is tied to the difficulty level.
    5. Money is given directly to the player, while the assassins gain experience based on the difficulty level and the number of recruits assigned to the mission. Experience points are divided equally among all participants.
    The likelihood of mission success is indicated by a percentage bar, which is influenced by the experience level of the assigned assassin. Difficulty also plays a role, meaning higher-level assassins are required for more challenging missions in order to earn the greater rewards.

Assassins in the game have limited control and customization options. While they all share the same abilities, they have different flavors, such as using swords or axes. The gameplay/combat incentives primarily focus on enhancing their survivability and damage.

Capabilities of the assassins include:
    Acrobatics or Parkour: They can traverse urban environments with great speed and ease.
    Use of injected poisons. Either via knife or projectile.
    Highly skilled in small-scale melee combat and proficient with ranged weapons.
    Stealth kills: They can silently dispatch enemies.
    Blending in crowds: They can go unnoticed by guards who would otherwise attack on sight.
    Pickpocketing.
    Utilizing disguises as a common strategy.

Some examples of missions in the game include:
    Defending a scholar, Delivering a confession, Assassinating a scholar, Befriending an enemy, Scouting the troops, Poisoning an ambassador, Stealing intelligence.
    It's important to note that the consequences of completing these missions are limited to monetary and experience rewards, as they have no impact on the game's narrative.

Narrative Motivation
    As mentioned earlier, when they are recruited, they actively resist the narrative opponent of the game due to their personal motivations. It becomes a situation of "My enemy's enemy is my friend." Afterward, they are presumably indoctrinated into the Creed upon joining. Their loyalty is never questioned or mentioned, and it is this presumed loyalty that allows you to send them on missions of various types beyond the immediate area.

+++++

What this means for my game.
    The recruits in this game possess initial technical capabilities in all listed areas, albeit at a novice level. As they gain experience points (XP), their overall competence improves through a single-level system that tracks their progress.
    In contrast, my game introduces numerous skills that require independent leveling. Furthermore, the recruits' proficiency in direct combat is intentionally limited, as I believe that if a situation escalates to that point, defeat is inevitable.
    This game primarily focuses on the actions of the main character, and it does so effectively without attempting to present itself as something else. While the management mechanics in the game may lack depth, they fulfill their intended purpose, so I have no complaints in that regard.
    The game's concept of a D&D versus Bond scenario is intriguing, as it ultimately depends on the player's willingness to accept risk. When a mission is deemed too crucial to be left to chance, the player can assign up to five assassins to it. Conversely, if a mission is simple enough to be accomplished by a single assassin, there are no penalties for assigning only one person. However, it should be noted that in Brotherhood, failing a mission results in the assigned assassin's death. Consequently, players rarely leave the success chance below 100% to ensure progress, even if it slows down the overall advancement.

Current date/time is Sat Jun 29, 2024 4:09 am