Heirs of the Coven

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum holding the rules of a system and the actions of my players.

Starsector (formerly “Starfarer”)

Ginno the Seer
    Admin

Starsector (formerly “Starfarer”) Empty Starsector (formerly “Starfarer”)

Post by Ginno the Seer Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:42 pm

There's a mod that adds "agents" to the game but we won't be talking about that.

In terms of spying there isn't a lot going on. There's a mission asking the player to reach a spot without being seen and text says that the player deploys a spy satellite as per the request of the quest giver.

The primary reason I'm making this post ties into what I said about gathering intel. Starsector has a raiding mechanic in where the player is able to have "marines", a certain number of them that's tracked the same way the number of crew and resources are, and they can be assigned to raid planets with the intent of either stealing things or disrupting industries for a certain length of time.

If the player wants to repeatedly raid a planet they can, but it gets harder each time. The planet has a functionally unlimited number of troops so your marines can only ever do quick grab-and-smash raids.
    What this plays out as is each time the player does an additional raid the defenders on the planet become more ready and thus your marines take more and more casualties per action.

What this means for my game:
    As I said in the post about gathering intelligence, its main purpose is to be used as a resource during Agent missions.
    Following Starsector's example of diminishing returns you the player can order as many missions in an area as you like, but the intel costs will go up as the Agent is successful. As well as missions just getting harder as those in that area are more aware that your agent is doing things.

Current date/time is Sat Jun 29, 2024 4:07 am